2018 Asheville Orchid Festival Update
2018 Asheville Orchid Festival Volunteers
HEADS UP….Less than 3 short months before our 2018 Asheville Orchid Festival!
Our 20th Festival!!!
We’re getting closer and closer everyone. Good progress has been made on the underpinnings of the 2018 Asheville Orchid Festival and we wanted to update the membership on these efforts and provide an outline of volunteer opportunities. We need our volunteers, so please step up and ask questions. We will get you involved in one way or another.We cannot stress to you all the importance of our 20th Asheville Orchid Festival Committee, and all that we are up to. We need support in many different ways. One BIG example of something still looming for us is our need to secure a “work space” for construction of our display. Have a garage, know of a useful space, know someone who’d donate or rent us out a workshop or garage for a couple of months?
Pre-Festival Activities Underway:
- Festival Dates – March 21-22 put in/installation. March 23 Ribbon and AOS Judging, NC Arboretum/WNCOS Private Member Preview Party. March 24-25 Festival open to the public.
- Venue – The NC Arboretum has been secured as the venue for the 2018 Festival, and Mike has got us under contract!
- Catering – Work is about done and we’ve determined the caterer for the Judges luncheon and for put-in day lunch.
- Vendors – Vendors are mostly under contract to participate in the 2018 Festival. We have a strong slate of vendors, once again for our 20th festival!
- Display – Clarke is our display chair for the 2018 Festival. Thank you Clarke!!! If you have an interest in assisting the Display Committee, please contact Clarke.
*Advertising and Promotion – Graham Ramsey along with Bill Fore will again be heading up our advertising and promotions. If you have ideas or want to volunteer to help with this effort, speak with Graham or Bill.
We have a need for a space large enough to construct the display during February and March. Please let us know if you have, or know of, a space we can rent for this purpose.
Clarke’s Contact information is as follows:
Festival Volunteer Opportunities:
Every year, you all step up and make the Asheville Orchid Festival the premier orchid festival in the southeast. We have one of the finest events in the country now, so come and be a part of something special!
We wanted to provide an outline of some of the different areas that will need volunteers so that you could start thinking of where you would like to be involved for the 2018 Festival. You may have an area where you especially enjoy volunteering, but you may want to add a new volunteer activity. Remember that it takes all of us to pull this caliber of orchid festival off. This is our 20th annual festival, and we intend to make it our best ever!
Wed, March 21 – WNCOS display construction at the Arboretum
Thurs, March 22 – Put-In Day
- Vendor Support – assist vendors with orchid transport
- Orchid Registration – assist us register all plant entries
- Orchid Prep – cover orchid pots, stage orchids by color
- Arrange orchids, foliage plants and moss in the display
Hospitality – during the entirety of the festival
- Judges lunch
- Breakroom monitoring
- Contribute food
Friday – Judging day
- Clerking and support for AOS judging
- Arboretum preview party! DO NOT MISS!
Sat/Sunday – General festival support
- Taking entry fees
- Check hand stamps for festival entry
- Monitor displays and answer questions as necessary
- Vendor support – assist vendors during display removal
- Dismantling the WNCOS display and disposition of the props
- Re-tagging and return of BB Barns foliage plants